The School is recruiting for a Junior Master/Teaching Assistant for the academic year 2018-2019.
The Junior Master/Teaching Assistant position is a long-standing tradition at St Philip’s and the incumbent carries out a vital role in daily life of the School.
It is a short-term appointment intended for gap-year students and young people looking for life experience or working experience in the teaching profession.
Junior Masters/Teaching Assistants at St Philip’s have organised plays, sports activities and trips abroad in the past, and we are always on the look-out for suitable candidates.
Interested parties should contact the School Office before 4th June 2018.
The post of Teaching Assistant is a junior position in the School, but a vital part of its life.
It is required that Teaching Assistants be directly involved in all areas of school life to provide strong role models for the pupils, encouraging them to embrace a broad education through approachability and a good sense of discipline.
Teaching Assistants will engage with the life of a busy prep school through carrying out coaching of sport, assisting in classrooms, assisting with administrative support, undertaking supervision duties and being a major part of the boys’ day-to-day life. The support of a Teaching Assistant for academic teachers is invaluable and a ‘can do’ attitude and approach to teamwork is vital. An appreciation of and interest in sports would be strongly advantageous.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- To assist in the delivery of lessons, when required
- To prepare lesson material and deliver lessons, when required
- To mark books, when required, in a timely and comprehensive manner
- To assist boys in accessing the curriculum, when appropriate
- To assist boys in working beyond the confines of the curriculum, when appropriate
- To be responsible for delivering coaching three times weekly in all or most of the School’s main sports of football, rugby, hockey, cricket, swimming and athletics
- To referee fixtures, both internal and representative
- To organise teams for fixtures, both internal and representative
To carry out supervision duties around the school
- To be prepared to attend residential trips such as the annual skiing trip to the Alps in February
This job description reflects the main responsibilities of the post. However, the post holder should be willing to undertake any other reasonable duties as required by the Head Master.